Table of Contents
What is Steam?
Steam is a digital distribution platform developed by Valve Corporation in 2003 for the express purpose of distributing game software, hosting multiplayer functionality, and social networking. It is similar to other digital content services such as iTunes or Google Play and is currently the world's largest digital retailer for personal computer based video games. To utilize Steam, you must have a Steam account and the Steam game client, both of which are free.
Redeeming your Steam keys
To redeem your product keys to Steam, you can either redeem via the Steam Redemption page or follow these steps to redeem to your Steam client directly:
- Navigate the download tab, and click the Get Steam Key button. This will generate your Steam product key for registering to your account.
Click on the button to copy the key to your clipboard.
⚠️ Note: if you see an error message about keys being exhausted after revealing your key, it means that we are temporarily out of keys. Never fear though! When keys are exhausted, we will reach out to the game's developer/publisher to obtain more keys. Check back on your download page later and we'll have a key available for you!
- Once you have installed the Steam client, launch the client and enter your login credentials. When you are logged into your account, click the button in the bottom left corner that says "+ ADD A GAME…" to register the product key to your account.
- In the pop-up window, select the "Activate a Product on Steam" option. This will open up a new window.
- Follow the prompts, and paste or enter the numerical key you copied from your download page into the "Product Code" field.
Hit "NEXT>" If your key is valid, Steam will accept it and you will be taken to your library where you will be able to download and play your newly registered game!
ℹ️ Note: If the key extends beyond the reach of the key field on your download page, simply double-click inside the field to select the whole key. This way, regardless of how much of the key looks to be cut off, you will copy the whole thing!
- From your LIBRARY tab you can see all games registered to your Steam account. You can then select a game and it will bring up a splash page with a large INSTALL button you can click on to install your games. Once your games are installed, the Install button will change to a PLAY button!
⚠️ TIP: If you are not seeing the product you redeemed through Steam, try the search bar at the top and ensuring that you have filtered your view with the correct platform:
And that's how register your product keys to Steam! Hopefully this information will help so you can get right to playing your game!
You can install Steam to multiple computers and download your games to those computers through your Steam account.
- Many Steam installation problems can be resolved by verifying the integrity of the game cache. This function will do a check to see if there are any missing or improperly installed files for your game. Simply right click on the game title in your library to bring up the properties menu to locate this option.
- If you run into any problems with the Steam client or your Steam account, please check out the Steam Knowledge Base or contact Steam Support. We also highly recommend checking out the discussion forums in case your fellow players have found solutions to any problems you may be facing.